Monday, September 24, 2007

Downtown Midwest to Bush Alaska

by Miss Koett

It's not like I moved to another country, except after talking to a friend of mine about my new and fantastic-like experiences, she noted how similar it was to her semester overseas. It is a different kind of world in a lot of ways. When passing someone on a walk in the city, one would be lucky to make eye contact with the other passer-by. Here, we are expected to wave, or at the very least nod our heads in acknowledgment. The values and the lifestyle differ greatly, particularly in terms of subsistence living, a term most people in the lower 48 would have no idea how to define, or how to begin to define.

Every day I learn something new about this culture, this place, this grand new world for me. I've never lived in the bush, or even been in the bush, until now. This is my first time to Alaska altogether. But I know some things for sure: I love being here. I can't imagine any better place for me to be right now. It takes my breath away every time I remember where I actually am.

"September Sunset"
This is a view of one of the brilliant sunsets we see over the Norton Sound, a perk to living here during non-visitor months.

The Alaskan coastal bush region is one of the few known wonders of the world, I think. Natives to the village may think otherwise, but visitors and outsiders moving in will agree that the lifestyle here, compared to living in the "outside world," is fitting. I've heard more than one person tell me, after learning of my adventurous move to such a far away place, "You're never coming back. Once you move to Alaska, you'll never come back." I can't say that my mind is made up as far as where I want to retire, but you can be sure that I have no intentions of leaving this place, my new home, any time soon.

This has to be, so far, the best location I've ever lived. I've called many places home: rural Western New York, suburban Indianapolis, small town northern Indiana, downtown Buffalo, and now I have chosen to call Unalakleet my home. I would encourage this move to anyone who considers it. It may be the most challenging, it may not be the easiest and most convenient way to live, but every drop of effort put into it is totally worth it. It's only been [almost] two months for me, but this is a truth that has still been proven over and again. I love it here, and so should you.

"View from the Bridge"
On a walk into the tundra from the village, one will see the long stretch down the river that outlines the east side of town.

No comments: