Monday, September 24, 2007

"KAITLIN!" - by Jenny Dill


Was Kait making a funny face, or was it bad timing? Whichever way it happened, she laughed when she viewed this photo on her camera.


Kaitlin Ivanoff is flashing her bright smile again, with her eyes peering past the elbow at the left.

When Ms. Koett asked our journalism class to write photo essays, Kaitlin Ivanoff rapidly asked, “We can write about anything we want?” Ms. Koett answered yes, then Kait looked at me with a smile, saying “I’m gonna write about you!” If it wasn’t Ms. Koett’s first year teaching at Unalakleet Schools, she might have expected this from Kait.
Kaitlin has the crazy personality of a wild child. She makes me laugh every day. At school, Kait is both a scholar and a “baller”. She’s only a freshman, but she is at the minimum graduation levels in nearly all her classes. Her mom is excited about her finally being in high school because she is an excellent basketball player.
Kait and I became friends a few years ago, but we became best friends in January when I moved back from Anchorage and went to the gym to find Kait. As soon as she saw me, she ran up to me screaming my name and gave me a great big hug. I felt so loved. Now, Kaitlin is like a sister to me. When I go over to her house, she will sometimes ask me to say, “I’m home, Mom!” to her mother, Karen Coffey. Kaitlin also has a dad, J.R. Ivanoff. Her older brother is Nolan and her little brother is Dylan.
Kaitlin loves to bake. Last month, she baked cookies especially for me. She brought them over to my house on her mom’s ceramic plate, which I still need to return to her.

No comments: